PlavavarshE vineethArE chaitrE mAsi kruthOdhaya:
VAnAchalamunir jeeyAt sadachityOghinAt sadhA”
Sri BhasyakAra varayOgi padhAra vindha
prEmAmpurAsi gaganAdhiri muneendrabhaktham
VEdAntha yugma SugabhOdhana SampraveeNam
rAmAnujam yathivaram gurumAsrayAma:
seeroLirum thenpudhuvai thigazhindhudhithOn vAzhiyE
thiruvarangan thiruvadiyil sEvai seivOn vAzhiyE
EroLirum mangai nagar elangai vandhOn vAzhiyE
Ezhil deivanAyagan thAl eranjumavan vAzhiyE
Teeramigu kaliyanadi sennivaipOn vAzhiyE
Chittiraiyil asvini nAL sirakka vandhOn vAzhiyE
tAraka rAmAnusan thAL sArindhuindhon vAzhiyE
sadakOpa rAmAnusan malarththALgal vAzhiyE”
vAzhi satakOpa rAmAnusan thALgal
vAzhiyavan vaNpuyamum mukkolum-vAzhiyE
endhaiyi rAmAnusanin ennarulAl mAran nan
senthamizhin eeduraikkum seer.
- Swami was born in Srivilliputhur, under the divine feet of Sri Andal, in a agraharam called vadakarai to the srivaishnava couple Sri Azhagiya Singar and Senkamala NachiyAr, in pilava year, chittirai month and Aswini Star.
- He was named Sri Rajagopalan and all samskaras were performed in appropriate time. At the age of 10, he went to Periya koil to join the patasala of Singam Iyengar Swami as prabandha vidyarthi and learnt divya prabhandha, upayuktha Vedas, kAvyAs, nAtakAs, Alankara, vyAkarna etc for 8 years. Later he also got evaluated by kAnchi sri prativAdi Bhayankaram annangrAchAriyAr Swami and won accolades from him. He then returned back to his native village.
- On returning to his native, Swami had to complete his father’s charama kainkaryam. Then he entered grahasthAsrama. Swami did prapatti and underwent granthAnvayam at the feet of HH Sri Vanamamalai Chinna kaliyan rAmAnuja jEyar Swami followed by many months of sri bagavat vishaya and sribashyaAyadi kalakshEbams. HH Sri Kaliyan Swami graced him and blessed him with thiruvaradhana kainkaryam for Sri Aranganagar appan at vadakarai Sri Vanamamalai mutt.
- After some time, Swami received invitation from Sri Singam Iyengar to take charge as Divya Prabhandha teacher at Srirangam pAtasAla. While teaching at the pAtasAla, Swami also had the privilege of doing adyApaka kainkaryam in Sri Ranganatha’s Sannadhi. At the same time HH Sri Chinna kaliyan Swami appointed him to be the srikaryam of Srirangam Vanamamalai mutt. Swami also accepted and cherished the kainkaryam. At that time, srimad ubhayavEdhAntha mahAvidwAn karappangadu Singaperumal Swami was delivering ubhayavEdhAntha grantha kalakshEbam in the pAtasAla. Swami joined the same for five to six years. Thereby Swami stayed in Srirangam for fifteen years.
- Then Swami was posted to Thiruvallikeni vAnamAmalai mutt, to take care of SrikAryam and thiruvArAdhana kainkaryams. Then Swami also did adhyapaka kainkaryam in Thiruvallikeni Sri Parthasarathi sannadhi for 30 years. During this period Swami delivered upanyasams on Bhagavat vishaya & rahasya granthas in Parthasarathi temple and vAnamAmalai mutt organized by M.O.Parthasarathi Iyengar Charity and also delivered upanyasams on ithihasas and puranas at Sri Srinivasa perumal and sundararaja perumal temples. Appointed as upanyasaka by the Endowment Board, Swami gave discourses in many temples.
- On the occasion of 600th year celebration of Swami ManavAla mAmunikAl many upanyasams were arranged in many places. Swami gave two discourses in that connection at Thiruvallikeni and proceeded to Srivilliputhur to do upanyasam in MamunikAl sannadhi. At that time, vAnamAmalai mutt’s 27th Jeeyar Swami, with the blessing of the divine couples, sent two srivaishnavas to bring Swami along with them to vAnamAmalai. That was the 5th day utsavam of Swami ManavAla mAmunikAl. After perumal’s purappadu jeeyar Swami, called all the kainkaryaparas of the mutt, srivaishnavas, the authorities of the temple and in front of them honoured our Swami with kAshAya parivattam (Saffron Robe) and named him satakOpa rAmAnuja jeeyar and also did mantrOpadEsam. Then archakas and paricharakas from the temple came amidst the sound of the divine instruments with malai, parivattam, tulasi, abhyahastham and other prasadams of perumal and thAyAr. They first honored periya Swami and with his orders then called chinna Swami (arulappadu) as “Sri vAnamAmalai rAmAnuja jeeyar” and honoured with garlands and perumal prasadams which Swami accepted humbly with ecstasy. Next day, Swami accepted sanyasa as per the sasthrAs and wearing kAshAyam and holding the tridandam prostrated before periya Swami. Then as per periya Swami’s orders Swami went to the temple, accepted Sri satakOpa honours near the dwajasthambam and then proceeded to do mangalasasanams to perumal and thayar. After accepting all the respective honors along with arulappadu “vanamamalai rAmAnuja jeeyar” Swami did mangasasanams to AzhwAr, emberumAnAr and manavAla mAmunikAl. Then along with chatra, samara and with the sound of divine instruments accompanied by sannadhi kainkaryaparas returned back to the mutt. Then Swami stayed under the divine feet of periya Swami like onnAna Swami to manavAla mAmunikAl, followed periya Swami’s orders and efficiently took care of sannadhi and mutt kainkaryams pleasing periya Swami. 10 years passed like this.
- On 17-01-1980, after the birth of uthrayana on thai ammavAsya morning 10 AM, periya Swami amidst sound of ubaya vEda, rahasya, Arthi prabhandha chanting of sri vaishnavas, aspiring to do uninterrupted divine service to the supreme lord ascended to sri vaikunta. Grief stricken, due to the separation from periya Swami, chinna Swami and all srivaishnavas were immersed in the ocean of sorrow. Slowly they pacified themselves to perform the final rites to Swami. After completing the charama kainkaryam at Swami’s thiruvarasu chinna Swami returned in the same ivory palanquin along with other sri vaishnavas completed avabrutham in sEttru thAmarai and entered the desolated mutt. From the next day, 10 day maha ArAdhanam was done with the pArvana srAdhdham on the 11th day and thirunarayana bali on the 12th day followed by the sevAkala thodakkam and goshti in the night. Next day, sevakalam, thiruveedhi iyal gOshti, sattrumarai and befitting the greatness of the mutt and periya Swami a grand thadhiyaradhanam was arranged. From that day, after perumal thayar mangalasasam Swami adorned the peetam and started to do sripAdha theertha, samAsrayana, granthAnvaya, bhagavat vishaya kalakshEbams.
- Swami, while in the peetam travelled extensively from North to South of the Bharata punniya bhoomi and uplifted many jeevAthmAs.
Special Kainkaryams during Swami’s tenure:
1980 - 1989
- Sri vanamamalai perumAl vimAna samprokshanam. (6-Nov-1981 to 9-Nov-1981)
- Nava thirupathi yathra-opening of stone inscriptions at the paramapadha vAsal at AzhwAr thirunagari – Adhi nAthar AzhwAr temple.
- 25-Sept-1983, (purattAsi ashwathi) OrukOttai ennakAppu celebrated in a grand manner for sri vAnamAmalai perumal.
- 14-Apr-1984 and 15-Apr-1984, theppOtsavam for Sri deivanAyagan, Srivaramangai thAyar and manavAla mAmunikAl which was resumed after 40 years.
- 19-May-1984 and 20-May-1984 in ThirumOgur, Swami joined in the srivaishnava mahAnAdu organized by ikkiya vaishnava sabha and opened the inscription of AzhwAr’s pAsurams on that divyadEsam as per the request of the members of the sabha.
- 20-Sept-1984, on the occasion of 600th year celebration of OnnAna sri Vanamamalai jeeyar Swami, our Swami requested sishyas all over India to celebrate the divine occasion in their places/houses for 10 days or 5 days or 3 days or atleast on the day of thirunakshatram. Sishyas responded by celebrating in a very grand manner as per Swami’s instruction.
- 20-Jan-1985- Laksa deepa mahOtsava at vAnamAmalai was conducted. Swami ascends to Srivaikundha On 13-08-1989, wanting to do uninterrupted service to srivaikunta nAdha Swami attained acharyan thiruvadi.
“AroodE Kadakam prabhA paripooride srisuklasamvatsarE
dwadasyAmcha thidhow subhE ravidhinE pakshE krishnEdarE
vEdhAntha dvaya pAras sadaripu: vAtsalya vArAn nidhi:
svAchAryAngri sarOjayugma magamat vAnAdriyOgeesvara:”